Friday, April 29, 2005

lo que es de nosotros...

estuve escuchando algo de george lopez. i had not heard his stand up, although i had heard people talking about it. it was hilarious! i know it's so stereotypical, but come on!: we all have that in our families, where when you're dying they have to bust out with the 'vicks'-cure. you could have a freaking ear-ache & somehow vicks is the cure-all. then there was the other joke about how we're do-it-yourselfers. we can't hire people to do our home projects; we always have someone who knows of a guy that can do it for cheaper. yeah, g.l. was funny!

i rememember when i first started learning about who we were, as Latinos, as mexicanos, as chicanos. things started making sense. When I lived in Mexico, I realized how different all these things were, how I became like a chameleon, adapting to the context & issues of the place I inhabited at the time. There were many differences between mexicanos & "pochas/os" like me. But still, this was me, I said to myself. This is where I came from. I was introduced to literature and arts, and other things that were "ours."

we're so heterogenous, but at least many of the mexican families i know can relate to george lopez. we have something in common.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

he's coming to chicago and i want to go see him. i never miss his show on tuesday nights.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Aleksu said...

It is through humor that many times we discover what we are.

My dad is guilty as charged of the Vick's indictment.

8:01 AM  
Blogger dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

Yeah, i think G. Lopez is funny. I can totally relate to his comedy.

"save me some" and "wait for me"
oh, and the Mexican Hello...no words but the head tilt that acknowledges your presence.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Julio Sueco said...

Yeah, hilarious as heck, though I've yet to meet anyone who went through what I did. I had my tonsols removed though before that it ocurred to my, Godbless her soul, grandma from Zacatecas that tomates asados stuck on old socks and warpped around on my feet and throat would somehow do the cure ... Well to her credit it did cut the fever down and the swelling cooled down, but I still had to go the matasanos.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home