Monday, November 01, 2004

Cuba, bella y triste

I'm back from Cuba, and it was an incredible experience. At one point, I suffered from culture shock, and began to panic. I told my friend, "What if the room is tapped?" I didn't write in my journal until I got to Mexico. Then, a few things emerged...amongst many cluttered thoughts:

Cuba is beautiful. The people are wonderful. I became nostalgic as I left the family that treated me like I was family, that provided all they could, despite difficulties, so we could be comfortable during our stay. Los Cubanos son un encanto.

But there were also many confusing moments. I felt like I was being watched. I told people I was Mexicana, instead of American. I felt I had to be careful what I did and said. I couldn't talk about "El Senhor," nobody really did. Someone disappeared while we were there. Life in Cuba is difficult for most people, I think. Everyday things can be difficult.

I loved seeing racial integration, something we don't have in the U.S. or even in Latin America: mulatos y triguenhos y negros y blancos, everyone interacting without prejudices (as far as I could see).

I need to go back to Cuba. Es raro, but once you are there you feel like you have to return... like you left something behind.

5 Comments:

Blogger dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

thanks for sharing your reflections on your trip. Remember we have to get-together soon (this weekend?)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Sounds like you had an incredible time. I can't wait to hear all of your adventures over a vodka.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Aleksu said...

Traveling to a place like Cuba most be quite an experience.

My best wishes to all the Cubans, a storm is brewing on the horizon.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It all sounds very fascinating Guiam. I can't wait to hear more.

9:38 PM  
Blogger dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

heard a story about Cuba this morning on NPR. Made me think of this analogy: Cuba is like a Cinderella - beautiful but kept hidden/surpressed by those too afraid of her radiance.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home